Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Survival.....

I survived, a beautiful and horribly painful
labor and delivery of our sweet Ædith Catlin.
She was born August 15th at 11:46pm.
Matthew survived a deep bite in his
arm! :)

I survived, the wave of fear that came over
me, when they heard a murmur and rushed
her to the nursery for testing,
just 14 hours after birth.

I survived, with friends by my side,
as the doctor told me something was
wrong, that she needed a better hospital,
and right away!

Matthew survived, when he arrived
to the hospital to spend the night with me
and our Ædith, and was met with a
trembling wife, stifling tears,
and fumbling with words to try to explain.

Matthew survived, as a pediatrician took
us into a room, another delivery room,
to explain to the proud Daddy what was
"wrong" with his little princess.

We survived, as we stared at her gray body,
blue hands and feet, and blue around her lips,
waiting for the helicopter to come.

We survived, as they loaded our daughter,
less than 24 hours old, into a helicopter,
and left for Greenville, to the NICU.

We survived, stopping at home,
walking through the door with no baby
to introduce to her "home", scrambling
to pack our bags.  We knew, too well,
not to grab just one outfit.

We survived, the longest drive of our lives,
late at night, knowing she made it safe,
but not knowing what was ahead.

I survived, the longest walk of my life,
from the parking lot to the NICU, just
24 hours after giving birth.  The fear of
blood clots out of my mind, as I rushed
down the dark, vacant halls with
a worried Daddy at my side!

We survived, the news from the doctor,
a pediatric cardiologist rushed in to
do an echo in the middle of the night.
And we couldn't believe it.....
Ædith had survived!

So far, she had survived a valve in
her heart that wasn't opening!

We all survived the 3.5 hour surgery
that fixed her valve a few days later.

Our children survived, thanks to
the love and blessings of our dear
friends here.... true servants of the Lord!

We survived 9 days in the NICU!

We survived hurricane Irene,
snuggled up in a hotel room
2.5 hours away.

Our home survived.... and we're convinced,
because of a a thousand angels covering
every shingle!  Our tiny tree out front even survived!

And now we are thriving, now we are
praising, a God who knew it all was
headed our way.  A God who chose us,
chose our friends, chose the surgeon,
chose the nurses, and chose our daughter.
He even chose her name, appropriately meaning
"Prosperous in War"!

God's tiny princess warrior! He has plans for her!
Plans to "prosper" her!

Jeremiah 29:11
We hold on to this verse!

Pictures to come, soon.
We are trying to find our new "normal"!



Photobucket

3 comments:

Teri said...

Oh my goodness Alexi We have been praying for a healthy baby for you but had no idea how much she actually needed those prayers. How terrifying! So glad to hear she is doing well now thou!

Teri said...

oh yah....CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!! =]

Loree Cerny said...

I am so glad to hear that everything is ok. I started to worry when I didn't see any posts for two weeks. I am so glad to know that God was watching over all of you. I can not imagine the strength it took to go through so much in so little time, but He chose the strongest woman I know. I can't wait to see pictures!!! God Bless all of you and Congrats!!